Saturday, June 20, 2009

Princess of the Midnight Ball

by Jessica Day George

The Twelve Dancing Princesses is a story that has always captivated me. This book was no exception.

George did an excellent job in making this well-known tale her own. Her characters were distinct and each of the twelve princesses has a personality. I've said before that I'm not a fan of authors taking the modern world, calling it something else and creating a semi-new fantasy civilization, but George makes it work in this book. The setting is one I can picture, maybe in the late 1800's or early 1900's, making the juxtaposition of guns and pastoral Europe plausible. The hero, Galen, is likable and clever, but not without fault, which makes him more realistic. I enjoyed the spin George put on the reason the princesses dance; not for some frivolous fancies, but because of something sinister and beyond their control. I really enjoyed reading this book and Jessica Day George is fast becoming one of my favorite authors.

The book is wholesome and there is no swearing or profanity.

No comments: