Friday, June 5, 2009

Betrayed

by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Book two of The House of Night series once again left much to be desired.

The Casts have added more evidence to my theory that they distinctly lack the skill that should be involved in writing novels, especially given that there are FIVE books in this series. I will admit that the story continues to intrigue me and there is an interesting plot that has a little depth without getting lost in a million subplots. The main character, Zoey, has a little more personality in this second installment, in that she is making some mistakes and feeling a little self-conscious in real life situations. However, there is a side to her that is completely devoid of control when her blood lust kicks in and it is a little frustrating to see the juxtaposition of her apparent maturity and the anomaly she appears to be in the vampire world and this emotional, uncontrollable teenager that gives into her impulses. Looking back at my previous review and thinking about what I've already read of book three, I think I just don't particularly like or relate to this girl. It is also frustrating to have to read through the recap of the previous book, as told from an over-dramatically portrayed teenage point of view, complete with an absurd amount of parenthetical asides and an annoyingly common use of words like totally as well as outdated slang and abbreviations, i.e. 'rentals. Actually, that pretty much sums up the whole book.

I will continue to read the series despite the trying-too-hard dialogue, because the story is really not too bad and I would like to see how things end up. This book contains more semi-graphic sexual talk and imagery...not verging on Fabio romance novels, but inappropriate and unnecessary.

No comments: