The Shack, although on the bestsellers list, is not a book that I would randomly pick off the shelf at the library. I read it on the recommendation of a co-worker that is a self-professed non-reader. It took me a few chapters to really get into it, but I ended up riveted by the story.This book is the story of a grieving Father. His family has been torn apart by tragedy and he is wracked by guilt and sorrow. He receives a letter from God inviting him back to the scene of his daughter's murder and, despite his confusion and skepticism, returns to the shack.
The story continues as Mack comes face to face with God and gains valuable insight into himself and his relationship with deity. The Shack is a really hard book to thumb down into a review~ at least for me. It contained startling and poignant ideas about religion and the relationship between God and his children. There was ideology that I'd never considered that made perfect sense and, being Mormon, I had to wonder where these things might fit into the doctrine of the church.
The book was touching and painful and extremely tender. Mack was such a genuine character, very real and his struggles and flaws and thought processes seemed very true to human nature. The stereotypes and preconceived notions about God were turned on their head a bit in this book. He appears as a plump black woman and Jesus appears as a young Semitic man, whereas the Holy Spirit appears as an Asian woman who's form is more like an impressionist painting and who appears more like the wind than an actual person. Mack spends time with each of these individuals, learning about trust, coming to terms with his guilt and grief, overcoming his anger at God and finally being able to heal.
The writing was beautiful, the complexity was as straightforward as possible and I thoroughly enjoyed Mack's journey.


No comments:
Post a Comment