The story of Morgan and Cam is bittersweet, filled with magic, love and sacrifice. The idea of a changeling who is being reclaimed by the Seelie after sixteen years is one that I haven't seen spun in this way before Fairy Tale. From the first few paragraphs I thought I was going to love Morgan. However, she quickly turned into your average, self-obsessed teenager. Balog tries to balance a brave, selfless heroine with a typical 16-year-old and, unfortunately, the immature Morgan shone through a little brighter. Despite that, I still liked the character for the most part. Although Cam is supposed to be the big focus in this book, I felt detached from him and I wasn't rooting for him to stay with Morgan. I loved Pip. He was an almost unrealistic ideal of perfection and chivalry. The naivete and true selflessness of this character and the almost childlike awkwardness made me want to invest in him.
I was bothered by the fact that Morgan's psychic powers were virtually non-existent after the first two or three chapters; leaving that in the background is almost akin to snatching away her parents after the first few chapters, or maybe changing the color of her hair midway through. Also, I would have liked a more in-depth explanation for why Morgan was able to see Dawn, distinguish the changes in Cam and remember him after he was gone.
I loved the ending of this book. I thought it was exactly how it should have ended and it was made even better by the fact that Morgan and Pip's relationship was not just a Fairy trick, but that it had been developed throughout the whole story, making their seemingly lifelong connection easier to accept at the end.
There was use of mild profanity in this book and allusions to sexuality (in dreams).


No comments:
Post a Comment