To Catch A Pirate is one of those books that you read in a few hours to relax and let your mind rest. It's a piece of juvenile fiction fluff. I love historical fiction; romance mixed with real people living through events that I can hardly imagine. I love learning about different periods of our nation's growth in a very light and paraphrased way. It is sometimes hard to find books like this that don't feature a scantily clad female with heaving bosoms wrapped pitifully around a tall, dark and handsome figment of some poor woman's imagination on the front cover. We all know the kind of imagery used in these books, and I prefer to stay away from material that, in great detail, could be used to explain the birds and the bees. So, juvenile fiction is the direction I choose to go.The thing I really like about this book is that the main character, Annalisa, is balanced between the two stereotypes used to write women characters in similar books. Usually, the woman is weak and meek and must find her inner strength to save the man that she loves, blah, blah, or she is saucy and strong and a little aggressive. Annalisa was neither of these. She was not dependant on any of the male characters, but she did show fear and weakness without seeming like a simpering pansy.
The book was cliche and predictable, but I liked it anyway. It was romantic and innocent and I don't think there was anything questionable included.


1 comment:
Wonderful blog...I face the same situation in all my books that I read that in reviewing back, I don't remember all the books, so I think having a blog is great...just wish I had the time to do this myself. And I put this book on my to-read list :) just because of you!
Post a Comment