Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Last Days

by Scott Westerfeld

The Last Days could be classified as a follow-up to Peeps. The original characters do make an appearance, but the plot is centered around a group of individuals that form a band and strive to become famous before the inevitable collapse of the world as we know it.

I felt that Westerfeld did a great job in developing the characters better than he might have through having each chapter told through the eyes of a different protagonist. I enjoyed seeing this world and the "disease" from the perspective of someone outside of the Night Watch and I liked that the outcome told more of the historical side of vampirism. However, the way the band members came together was too perfect and felt a little contrived.

I really like Scott Westerfeld, but sometimes his writing is a little annoying, like he's trying too hard to be hip and create these new trendy societies. This book was no exception; he was a bit redundant in the use of some "dictionary" words, making the overuse glaringly obvious.

The Last Days was not as good as Peeps, but a nice wrap up.

No comments: